How to set up Facebook Business Manager to provide access to your agency
So you have a Facebook expert (or agency) who’s going to manage your page and Facebook advertising for you. But how do you control billing and admin rights without handing over all the control to them? It is likely that they will be using “Facebook Business Manager” to control their client’s Facebook pages and advertising accounts and they will ask you to set this up for your company so that they can request access to manage your content.
Why do I have to set this up? I thought I was paying them to manage Facebook?
Admittedly, Facebook has made this process quite complicated for company owners – particularly if they are not experienced Facebook users. However the reason behind this set up makes sense. You have employed your Facebook manager to manage your accounts, you probably do not want them to own your accounts forever as you (the business owner) should have the highest level of access to your companies Facebook page regardless of whether or not you personally need to use it. Therefore, setting your company up under a Facebook Business Manager account will link it to your personal Facebook profile which gives you the ownership of the company page. Once you have set up your companies Business Manager, your agency will request access to your company page and advertising account. This will allow them to manage these assets from their own business manager account, whilst allowing you to maintain control over your companies payment information and maintain ownership of the account should the agency/client relationship ever be discontinued in the future.
How do I set up Facebook Business Manager?
Note: You will need to have a personal Facebook account set up to do this as Facebook requires this to confirm your identity.
- Go to business.facebook.com and you will see a page like the one below. Click ‘Create account’.
- Select a name for your business (You can simply write the name of your company) and enter your name and work email address.
- This will take you the dashboard of your new Facebook Business Manager. Click on ‘Business Manager’ in the top left corner. Then click on ‘Business settings’.
- Business settings is where you can add all your assets e.g. Company Facebook page, advertising account and billing details. Firstly add or create a new Facebook page for your company. Click on the pages icon which looks like a flag. Then click ‘Add New Pages’. If you already have a company page that either you or your agency set up for your company you can click on ‘Add a page’ to bring this page into your business manager (Note: you must have admin rights on the page to do this). If you don’t have any existing Facebook page for your company, you can select ‘Create a New Page’ and follow the prompts.
- If you are adding an existing page, you just need to start typing the name of your company page and it should automatically come up. When it does, select it and click ‘Add Page’ (See example below). If you are an admin of the page, your request will be approved automatically.
- Next you will need to set up an ad account for your page. This ad account will represent your business and will be where all Facebook ads and promotions are stored and managed for your company. This is a similar process to adding a page which you have just done. Click on ‘Ad Accounts’ in the left hand menu. Click on ‘Add New Ad Accounts’ and select whether you want to add an existing advertising account (if you have already made one) or select create a new ad account. Please be aware that once you add a Facebook advertising account to your business manager you can not remove it or delete it. For this reason make sure you set it up as you want it – Do not make a test version as you won’t be able to remove it later on!
- If you are adding an exisiting ad account to your business manager you will need to input your ad account ID number. You can find this by going to Ads Manager or Power Editor. Then click the Account dropdown menu. You should now see the ID number for your ad account.
- Lastly if you haven’t already, you will need to set up a billing method for your business account. This will likely be your companies Visa, MasterCard or American Express Debit or Credit card. Click ‘Payments’ on the top menu, and then ‘Add Payment Method’. This will then prompt you to enter your credit card details.
- After you have completed this, you will need to connect your billing information to your companies ad account. Click on the prompt as shown below which should come up after you have put in your card details.
- This link will open your ad account. Click on ‘View Payment Methods’.
- Then click ‘Add Payment Method’
- Select ‘Payment Method from Business Manager’. The next window should show your card details you have already put in. Click ‘continue’.
- Finally it will ask you if you want to make this card your “Primary Payment Method”. This means all charges for your companies Facebook ads will come off this payment method (which is what you want). Click ‘Make Primary’.
- Congratulations, you are now set up! You should be able to see your companies Page and Ad account listed within your Business Manager account. You can let your agency/social media manager know you have set this up and they can then request access to your accounts so they can manage it. When they request access you should receive an email to the email address you signed up to Business Manager with.
I hope you found this process relatively straightforward! Let me know in the comments below.